No one was found inside the boarded-up home.

Dover firefighters successfully battled an early morning blaze that caused significant damage to a city residence.

Dover FD assistant chief Michael J. O’Connor Jr. said the department was alerted to the fire at about 4:16 a.m. Sunday, Dec. 2 by city police officers on routine patrol. The fire was confined to a vacant home at 350 Martin Street, he said.

Deputy fire chief Ronald W. Rhodes was first on the scene, finding the two-story, 1950s-era single family home showing fire from the second story.

The house, which reportedly was under foreclosure, was boarded up except for one window adjacent to a side door, O’Connor said. Because of the possibility the building was being used by squatters or the homeless, crews brought in a hose line and went upstairs, stopping the spread of the blaze and confining it to the second floor.

There was a partial roof collapse above the fire itself, O’Connor said.

Members of the Little Creek volunteer fire company sent in a rapid intervention team to assist in opening up the building for firefighter safety and to provide a way out.

No occupants were found during a search of the building, O’Connor added.

The Kent County Department of Public Safety and the Camden-Wyoming volunteer fire company provided standby emergency medical services on scene, he said.

A damage estimate has yet to be determined.