Two Philadelphia men arrested with items from nine different stores

Delaware State Police have arrested two men after they shoplifted and led police on a car chase on Route 1 in Sussex County.

The incident occurred on Sunday, August 5, at around 7 p.m., when troopers were alerted to a shoplifting incident in the Rehoboth Beach area and were provided with a description of a vehicle, an orange Chevrolet Cobalt with Pennsylvania registration.

A trooper witnessed the suspect vehicle traveling northbound on Route 1 south of Milton and a traffic stop was initiated. Before the trooper was able to make contact with the driver, the Cobalt accelerated and took off, and a pursuit ensued.

The Colbalt traveled northbound on the shoulder of Route 1 and proceeded through the intersection at Broadkill Road (Route 16) before colliding with an electric box, a Mazda CX-5, Ford Windstar and a mailbox before finally coming to a rest. At that point, two suspects fled the car on foot but were subsequently taken into custody.

A search of the Cobalt yielded stolen merchandise from nine Rehoboth-area stores.

The driver of the Cobalt, identified as 23-year-old Tajah L. Brooks, and his passenger, 22-year-old Nafese A. Pierce, both of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, were transported by ambulance to Beebe Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries.

The operator of the CX-5, a 56-year-old female, and her 13-year-old passenger, also of Philadelphia, were properly restrained and transported to Beebe Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. The operator of the Ford Windstar, a 41-year-old Philadelphia male, and his five passengers were all properly restrained and uninjured.

Brooks was charged with two counts of felony shoplifting, eight counts of reckless endangering, vehicular assault, resisting arrest and multiple traffic offenses. He was committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on $18,426 cash-only bond.

Pierce was charged with felony shoplifting, felony possession of shoplifter tools, second-degree conspiracy and resisting arrest. He was committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on $7,000. secured bond.

Northbound Route 1 at Route 16 was rendered to one lane for 2.5 hours while the crash was investigated and cleared.