Rodney Dale had warrants related to domestic violence.

Delaware State Police have arrested 43-year-old Rodney L. Dale, of Seaford, after he led troopers on a vehicle pursuit in an attempt to avoid apprehension on domestic assault-related charges.

Around 6 p.m. on Saturday, March 17, a 37-year-old Bridgeville woman reported a physical domestic argument with her boyfriend, Dale, to police. An investigation determined that at about 5:30 p.m., the victim and Dale became engaged in a verbal altercation in the driveway of his residence, in the 24000 block of Dove Road in Seaford. The victim attempted to leave by entering her vehicle and starting the ignition. Dale positioned himself at the driver’s door, not allowing her to close it, and then reached into to the vehicle, turned off the ignition and removed the keys, ignoring the victim’s pleas to allow her to leave.

The victim then attempted to call 911 on her cell phone, at which point Dale made threatening statements before striking her in the face with a closed fist. He then placed his forearm against the victim’s throat, restricting her breathing as he attempted to take possession of her cell phone. Dale was able to gain possession of the phone and damage it, rendering the phone inoperable.

After a brief struggle between the two, Dale threw the car keys at the victim, striking her in the face. Once she was able to regain possession of the keys, the victim was able to flee. After arriving at Troop 5, the victim was transported to Nanticoke Memorial Hospital, where she was treated and released.

Based on the victim’s statement, troopers prepared a warrant charging Dale with domestic assault-related charges. Attempts were made to locate Dale without success.

Troopers continued to search for Dale throughout the night and at around 1:40 a.m. on Sunday, March 18, a black, 2005 GMC Yukon registered to Dale was located on Dove Road in Seaford. A trooper activated lights and sirens on his fully marked patrol vehicle and attempted to initiate a traffic stop. The vehicle refused to stop.

A pursuit commenced, which ultimately ended when the Yukon struck a guardrail on Concord Pond Road, causing disabling damage. Once the vehicle came to a stop, the operator, Dale, fled on foot. The trooper gave chase and eventually caught up with Dale, who failed to comply with repeated verbal commands to get on the ground and instead turned to face the trooper in a fighting position. The trooper then deployed his Taser and took him into custody.

Dale was arrested on the outstanding domestic-related charges, including unlawful imprisonment, third-degree assault, terroristic threatening, offensive touching, malicious interference with emergency communication and criminal mischief. He was also charged with 34 offenses related to the vehicle pursuit, including fifth offense driving under the influence, disregarding a police officer signal and two counts of resisting arrest. Dale was committed to Sussex Correctional Institution in lieu of $25,529 secured bail.