And we're down to eight! The second round of the DIAA Boys Basketball State Tournament provided loads of excitement, including a few upsets on Thursday night.

Two higher seeds, No. 8 St. Georges Tech and No. 1 Cape Henlopen, were knocked out of the tournament while Salesianum, Smyrna, William Penn, Caravel Academy, Sussex Tech, Sanford, St. Elizabeth and Glasgow advanced to the quarterfinals Saturday at the Bob Carpenter Center at the University of Delaware.


No. 1 Cape Henlopen 46, No. 17 Glasgow 52

The No. 1 seed Cape Henlopen Vikings were upset on their home floor, falling to No. 17 Glasgow 52-46 in second round action Thursday night.

After leading by one after the first quarter, Glasgow took a one-point advantage of their own, leading 26-25, at halftime.

The Dragons held their one-point lead heading into the fourth quarter, where they outscored Cape Henlopen 17-12.

The Vikings cut the Glasgow lead to just three thanks to an Ian Robertson three-pointer with just under a minute to go, but Cape couldn’t overtake the Dragons.

Robertson led all scorers with 22 points, while Shi’Kai Chandler contributed 12 for the Vikings in the loss.

Glasgow advances to the quarterfinals Saturday at University of Delaware, taking on No. 9 St. Elizabeth at 1:45 p.m.

No. 6 Sussex Tech 63, No. 11 Mt. Pleasant 62

No. 6 Sussex Tech narrowly escaped a very game No. 11 Mt. Pleasant in the second round Thursday night, winning 63-62.

Mt. Pleasant came to play, taking a five-point advantage after one quarter. Tech would fight their way back, tying things up at 27-27 at the halftime break.

In the second half, Sussex Tech would outscore Mt. Pleasant 36-35 throughout a dozen lead changes to walk away with the one-point victory.

The Ravens advance to the quarterfinals Saturday at the University of Delaware, taking on defending state champs and No. 3 seeded Smyrna at 6 p.m.

No. 3 Smyrna 63, No. 14 Woodbridge 59

Defending state champs and No. 3 seeded Smyrna, avoided an upset loss to No. 14 Woodbridge in the second round Thursday night, defeating the Blue Raiders, 63-59 to move onto the state quarterfinals.

Leading by eight after one quarter, Smyrna saw Woodbridge make a second quarter run, cutting the Eagles lead to 35-31 at the halftime break.

In the third, Woodbridge would overtake Smyrna, leading 53-51 heading into the fourth and final quarter.

Smyrna’s defense cracked down in the fourth quarter, holding Woodbridge to just six points in the final stanza, while doubling them up on the scoreboard to walk away with a four-point victory and a spot in the quarterfinals Saturday.

Three Eagles finished in double-figures Thursday night, led by Greg Bloodworth’s team-high 21 points, followed by Jaymeir Garnett who finished with 17 points and Caleb Matthews who ended the night with 16 points.

Matthews and Bloodsworth also combined for eight three-pointers in the win.

The Eagles move onto the state quarterfinals Saturday at the University of Delaware, taking on No. 6 Sussex Tech at 6 p.m.

No. 4 William Penn 47, No. 13 Caesar Rodney 43

No. 13 Caesar Rodney fell to No. 4 William Penn, 47-43, in the second round of the state tournament Thursday night.

The Colonials led a by just two points after one quarter, taking a 9-7 lead. William Penn would increase their lead by one, leading 19-16 at halftime.

CR would fight back to tie things up at 31-31 after three quarters, but were outscored 16-12 in the fourth quarter by the Colonials.

William Penn moves onto the quarterfinals Saturday taking on No. 5 Caravel Academy at the University of Delaware starting at noon.

No. 5 Caravel Academy 61, No. 12 Lake Forest 59

No. 12 Lake Forest came up just a basket short of an upset Thursday night, falling to No. 5 Caravel Academy, 61-59.

The Bucs built an early 10-point lead after one quarter before the Spartans cut the deficit in half at the break, trailing 32-27. Though, Caravel would go back on top by 10 after three quarters, leading 53-43.

In the fourth, Lake Forest outscored Caravel 17-8, but fell short of completing the comeback.

The Buccaneers move onto the state quarterfinals Saturday, taking on No. 4 William Penn at 12 p.m. at the Bob Carpenter Center.

No. 2 Salesianum 34, No. 15 Dover 30

No. 15 Dover put up a fight against No. 2 Salesianum, but eventually fell to Sallies, 34-30 in second round action Thursday night.

In one of the lowest scoring games of the night, Salesianum had just a 7-4 lead after one quarter and a 15-13 lead at halftime.

Salesianum continued to build their lead in the second half, building a six-point advantage, 27-21, after three quarters.

In the fourth, the Senators would outscore Salesianum 9-7, but their comeback ran out of time.

Eden Davis led Dover with 13 points while Javon Peace contributed nine points. Davis and Peace also combined for four three pointers in the loss.

Salesianum advanced to the quarterfinals Saturday, taking No. 7 Sanford at 7:45 p.m.

No. 8 St. Georges Tech 39, No. 9 St. Elizabeth 40

No. 8 St. Georges Tech fell to No. 9 St. Elizabeth Thursday night in the second round of the tournament, 40-39.


Trailing by two points late in the game, St. Elizabeth’s Nate Thomas hit a three-pointer with five second left in the game to win it for the Vikings.


St. E’s jumped out to an early first half lead, which the Hawks were able to cut to the deficit to just eight, 24-16 at halftime.


St. Georges Tech eventually overtook the Vikings in the third quarter, leading 32-31 heading into the final quarter.


The fourth quarter was a back and forth struggle, with the Vikings coming out on top.


St. Elizabeth now moves onto the quarterfinals Saturday, taking on No. 17 Glasgow who pulled the upset Thursday night, knocking off No. 1 Cape Henlopen in a shocker.