Juvenile allegedly shot and killed the man on New Street

A juvenile faces a murder charge after he allegedly shot and killed a man in the 500 block of New Street in Middletown on Sunday night, Feb. 18, police said.
At about 8:30 p.m., police responded to New Street for a report of a male victim suffering from a gunshot wound.
The police investigation revealed that the juvenile allegedly shot the adult male in the upper torso after having a fight with him in the roadway, police said.
The victim was transported to Christiana Hospital where he was pronounced dead. His name will be released by police when the family is notified.
Police arrested the juvenile and charged him with first-degree murder and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.
On Monday, Feb. 19, the juvenile was arraigned in Family Court and is being held for failing to post a $160,000 cash bond. Police haven’t identified the juvenile other than to say he lives in Middletown.
Pursuant to Delaware code, the case is automatically referred to Delaware Superior Court for trial because of the nature of the charges, said Carl Kanefsky, spokesman for the state Department of Justice.
The investigation is ongoing and anyone with information is asked to contact Det. Joseph Womer at (302) 376-9950 or via email at joseph.womer@cj.state.de.us or the Middletown Police Crime Tip line at middletownde.org/Crime-Tip-Line/ or Crime Stoppers at (800) 847-3333.
The nearest landmarks to the incident would be Redding Middle School and Mt. Calvary Baptist Church, both on New Street.
Just recently, there were two other shootings in Middletown, both in the 100 block of East Lockwood Street.
On Feb. 14, shots were fired at a residence on East Lockwood Street. An unknown suspect or suspects fired multiple shots at the residence, occupied by an adult male, adult female and a juvenile.
There were no reports of any injuries.
On Jan. 17, a shooting took place inside a residence on the same section of road. Two people sustained multiple gunshot wounds during the exchange of gunfire, police said. Both people lived.
One, Howard Watkins, 20, of Wilmington was charged with first-degree assault, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony, home invasion, attempted robbery, and possession of a firearm by a person prohibited.
Watkins was taken to the James T. Vaughn Correctional Center after failing to post a $260,000 secured bond.