Six people were arrested following the incident, which police saide stemmed from a 911 call reporting gun shots in the area.

Police say a report of shots fired received shortly after midnight Feb. 18 precipitated a standoff near Frederica that briefly closed Route 1 and culminated in the arrest of six people and the seizure of two pistols.

According to spokesman Master Cpl. Bruce Harris, troopers responded to the 3600 block of Bay Road around 12:39 a.m. after a 911 caller reported hearing gunshots in the area. Police checked the vicinity, but were unable to determine where the gunfire originated and left.

Shortly therafter, a 20-year-old Dover man arrived at the Milford Police Department and described a shooting incident he allegedly was involved in at a house in the area of the earlier complaint.

At around 2:45 a.m., troopers and Milford officers were back on the scene and the occupants had barricaded themselves inside the residence.

Harris said the incident began the Dover man came to the residence looking for his cousin, a 16-year-old girl and alleged runaway. The Dover man, whose name was not released, was confronted by a 17-year-old male suspect who is believed to be the boyfriend of the 16-year-old girl.

An argument ensued and the 17-year-old allegedly fired shots, but police are still gathering details about the incident and attempting to determine whether the gunshots were into the air or in the direction of the victim, Harris said.

When police determined the source of the gunshots, troopers set up a perimeter around the house and evacuated surrounding residences. Because of the proximity of the house to the highway, police also shut down both lanes of Route 1 between Milford Neck and New Wharf road.

Shortly before 8 a.m., police were able to convince the occupants of the residence to come outside, Harris said, and six people were taken into custody.

After a search of the residence, troopers seized two handguns: a loaded 9mm Beretta, and a loaded 9mm Highpoint Lugar, which had its serial number destroyed. Detectives are running checks on the firearms to determine whether they are stolen, Harris said.

Police expect to charge the 17-year-old later today with possession of a firearm by a person prohibited, possession of a firearm with an obliterated serial number and endangering the welfare of a child.