Holy Cross School celebrates its 65th anniversary during the 2017-18 school year, and the whole school gathered for a “Crusader Proud” picture on Nov. 3 to kick off the yearlong celebration.
Holy Cross School’s story began in August 1952 when the Rev. Andrew Tosick, pastor of Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church in Dover, opened the first Catholic school in lower Delaware. This was due to a growing number of parishioners with school-age children who were searching for a Catholic education for their families. The school was opened in the parish hall located at New and William streets. Tosick engaged the Felician Order from Lodi, New Jersey, to staff the school, grades kindergarten through second grade. Sister Angelina was principal. The enrollment totaled 42 students.