Dover officer dies of injuries suffered in 2012

Dover police are reporting the death of an officer due to complications from an injury he suffered five years ago.

Cpl. Thomas Hannon, 42, died early in the morning of Friday, Sept. 1, department spokesman Master Cpl. Mark Hoffman said.

Hannon died at Christiana Hospital with his family at his side, Hoffman said.

Hannon's death was the result of medical complications stemming from a leg injury he suffered in the line of duty in 2012.

Hannon had been with the Dover Police Department since 2005. During that time, he served in the Patrol Unit, Quality of Life Unit, the TAC section of the Drugs, Vice, and Organized Crime Unit, and as a K9 officer in the Drugs, Vice, and Organized Crime Unit.

He had been on light duty during part of the time following his injury, and had been promoted to the rank of corporal in 2013.

Hannon was also a highly decorated officer; receiving a 2006 Officer of the Quarter award, two distinguished unit awards, a DUI enforcement award, numerous perfect attendance awards, and two life saving awards.

He earned his first life saving awards in 2008 when he helped save a woman after she stopped breathing and the second in 2009 when he rescued a handicapped woman from a burning residence.

In a prepared statement, Chief Marvin Mailey eulogized the late officer.

“Cpl. Thomas Hannon was a big part of the Dover Police Department family,” Mailey said. “His larger than life personality, sense of humor, and his unwavering commitment to the citizens of Dover will be greatly missed by all.

“We lost an excellent police officer, friend and, brother today. Cpl. Hannon's family lost an even better husband, father, son, and brother as well.

“Our thoughts continue to be with them at this time, and we are committed to keeping Cpl. Thomas Hannon's memory alive and supporting the entire Hannon family during this tragic time.”

The department will share more information as it becomes available, Hoffman said.

Woman assaulted, shot fired at Dover party

Two people were assaulted and a shot was fired during a party held early Friday morning in Dover.

The incident took place at about 1:25 a.m. Friday, Sept. 1, at the Alder Park apartment complex at 51 Webbs Lane, just outside the Dover city limits Delaware State Police spokesman Master Cpl. Gary Fournier said.

As troopers and officers from Dover Police Department arrived on the scene, a number of people and vehicles fled the area, he said.

Police determined a party was taking place in one of the apartments of Building K when an argument began between two men in the living room. A 20-year-old woman tried to break up the argument but one of the men hit her in the forehead with a handgun. The same man hit another man on the forehead, and eventually fired at least one shot inside the apartment.

Both were taken to the Kent campus of Bayhealth hospital they were treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released. No other injuries were reported.

The suspect is a black man about 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 7 inches tall, weighing between 200 and 210 pounds. He is bearded and was wearing a white T-shirt and khaki pants. Police did not know the type of handgun he used, Fournier said.

Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Det. Saucier at 302-698-8438.

Information also may be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-TIP-3333, via the Internet at, or by sending a text to 274637 (CRIMES), starting the message with the keyword “DSP.”

Amish man dies in hit and run collision

Delaware State Police are investigating the death of an Amish man and serious injuries to his wife following a hit and run crash near Hartly.

Delaware State Police spokesman Master Cpl. Gary Fournier said the crash took place at 8:05 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 31, at the corner of Halltown Road (Route 8) and Hartly Road.

The driver, 55-year-old Ervin Miller, was driving a horse-drawn buggy when he tried to turn left into the Royal Farms store. A car headed eastbound on Route 8 hit the buggy, throwing Miller and his 55-year-old wife onto the road.

The vehicle failed to stop and possibly turned northbound onto Pearsons Corner Road, Fournier said.

Miller was taken to the Kent campus of Bayhealth Hospital, where he later was pronounced dead. His wife was admitted there in critical condition.

The car only was described as a dark colored older passenger-style vehicle that may have considerable damage to the front bumper, hood and window.

Witnesses at the scene said the force of the impact with the car demolished the buggy.

The horse ran from the scene and later turned up at the Miller home. It is not known if it was injured, Fournier said.

Route 8 was closed for about 3.5 hours as the crash was investigated and cleared.

The Collision Reconstruction Unit is continuing their investigation into this incident.

Anyone with information on this crash is asked to contact Detective Killen at 302-698-8451.

Information also may be provided by calling Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-TIP-3333, via the Internet at, or by sending a text to 274637 (CRIMES), starting the message with the keyword “DSP.”

State fisheries chair faces terroristic threatening charge

The man in charge of the state’s fisheries commission was arrested in August following an incident where he allegedly fired a shotgun during an argument.

Leonard H. Voss Jr. 61, of the 2000 block of Big Oak Road, Smyrna, was taken into custody Monday, Aug. 28, Delaware State Police spokesman Master Cpl. Gary Fournier said.

The case began the day before, when Voss and an unnamed 23-year-old man were involved in an apparent physical confrontation while selling crabs to buyers. No charges were filed in that incident.

The following day, the 23-year-old and Voss’ brother got into an argument in the parking lot of Carey’s Diesel in Leipsic; Voss allegedly fired a single shotgun round into the air in an effort to break up the confrontation.

Police learned Voss then allegedly pointed the shotgun at the man and threatened to shoot him.

Fournier said Voss is charged with possession of a firearm during commission of a felony, aggravated menacing, terroristic threatening and second-degree reckless endangering.

He later was released from custody on a $23,000 unsecured bond.

Voss is chairman of the Delaware Advisory Commission on Shell Fisheries, which consults with DNREC on issues regarding the shellfish industry. He also is a member of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission.