A fire that heavily damaged a Wyoming home Saturday afternoon has been ruled accidental by fire investigators with the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office.

The fire, which was reported to the Camden-Wyoming Fire Company just before 2 p.m. Aug. 30, took place at a home in the first block of Front Street, said Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chionchio.

Firefighters arrived to find thick black smoke coming from a room on the first floor of the two-story home, Chionchio said.

One person in the home received second-degree burns to his hand, and was taken to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital, Dover, where he was admitted in good condition. He was not expected to remain in the hospital overnight, Chionchio said.  

Three other persons and several dogs escaped from the home, which did not have working smoke detectors, he said.

The cause of the fire was traced failed extension cords in a first-floor bedroom that had ignited material in the room, Chionchio said.

Fire damage was estimated at $75,000. The American Red Cross was called to provide emergency assistance to the family.