Capital School District schools in Dover as well as Wesley College have lifted their lockdowns, initiated after a shooting this morning on North Kirkwood Street.


Wesley College lifted its school lockdown in a text message to students at 12:06 p.m.

The college and Capital Schools resumed normal operations as Dover police continued their hunt for a shooting suspect in an incident that took place on North Kirkwood Street.

In the meantime, a 1:30 press conference called by Dover Mayor Robin Christiansen and Chief of Police Paul Bernat to address two earlier shootings will be held as scheduled, said city of Dover spokeswoman Kay Sass.



For the second time in five days, security personnel at Wesley College near downtown Dover have had to issue text alerts to its 1,400 or students and others warning of a shooting close to campus.

On Sunday, as a fatal shooting took place on Kirkwood, alerts were sent out and test messages went out again this morning.

At 10:14 a.m., students, faculty and staff got this message: “Dover police have just reported a shooting at Kirkwood and Division. Chasing suspect. Remain indoors.”

Walter Beaupre, Wesley College, director of safety & security said after the alert was sent today, he and his staff went from building to building on campus making sure everyone was secure.

“It’s unfortunate but we need to keep our students, our faculty and our staff safe and it’s unfortunate that these shootings are occurring near the campus,” he said.

Beaupre said his message to parents of Wesley students is, “We are keeping our students safe.”

Several students at Wesley seemed unfazed by the morning shooting. They were hanging out with friends on campus, heading to and from class after the lockdown ended, like it was a regular day at school.

“This stuff happens all the time,” said sophomore Kim Preston, referring to off-campus shootings nearby. “It’s not an uncommon thing, so we’re kind of used to it by now.”

Ryan Strain, a junior majoring in exercise science, said the shooting was not a surprise to him either. But the day of the incident was.

“Most of the time it happens on weekends, he said. "Stuff like that never happens in the day during school time."


Some Dover schools and Wesley College were placed on lock down Wednesday morning as Dover police investigated a shooting near the school’s campus.

The shooting occurred in the area of Kirkwood and Division streets about 10:08 this morning, according to the Dover Police Department.

A man suffered a gunshot wound to his foot and is being treated at a local hospital, police said.

Captial School District Superintendent Michael Thomas said all district schools were placed on lock down, except Dover High School and Hartly Elementary School.

That lock down was lifted shortly after noon, once Dover police informed the district that they were calling off the active search for the gunman, Thomas said.

“Basically, all the outside doors were locked at schools so no one could enter,” he said. “We have emergencies like this come up from time to time, but we have procedures in place and all the schools acted quickly.”

Students and staff at Campus Community School on Pear Street were told to shelter in place, according to that school’s principal.

Wesley College officials sent a text message out 10:14 a.m. directing students to stay indoors, while police search for the shooter.

A second text was sent out to students at 10:47 a.m. directing students to remain indoors and providing a description of the suspect, who Dover police say was last seen running north from the scene.

The suspect is described as a dark-skinned black man with a light mustache, who last was seen wearing blue jeans, a two-tone brown sweatshirt.

More information will be provided as it becomes available.

Wednesdays’ shooting comes just hours before Dover Mayor Robin Christiansen and Chief of Police Paul Bernat are slated to hold a 1:30 p.m. joint press conference to address two fatal shooting in Dover on Sunday.

One of those shootings occurred on South Kirkwood Street about 4:16 p.m., while the other occurred in the 300 block of Simon Circle about 1:24 a.m.

Police on Tuesday announced that they had ruled the South Kirkwood Street shooting to have been an act of self defense.

The Simon Circle shooting remains under investigation.