Dover Police have dropped all charges against Dover resident Shamarr Willingham, finding his shooting of another man, identified as Yusif Lamb, on Aug. 24 was an act of self defense.
Meantime, Dover Mayor Robin Christiansen and Chief of Police Paul Bernat plan a Wednesday joint news conference to address this and another fatal shooting that occurred in the city, also on Aug. 24.
In a statement released just before the Dover Post went to press, police spokesman Cpl. Mark Hoffman said Willingham’s use of deadly force came after Lamb pointed a handgun at him following a verbal confrontation.
Willingham’s own gun had been legally purchased and properly registered, Hoffman said.
The shooting took place at about 4:16 p.m. after Lamb was driven to Willingham’s home on South Kirkwood, accompanied by another vehicle. Lamb and Willingham previously had contacts through social media and were involved in a dispute over a woman, Hoffman said. Lamb and other, still unidentified individuals got out of their vehicles and confronted Willingham, leading up to Lamb threatening Willingham with a gun.
After the shooting, where Lamb was hit by a single round in the chest, Willingham ran northbound on Kirkwood as the others fired several shots at him.
Police arrived to find Lamb on the ground with his handgun next to him, and rendered first aid and CPR, but Lamb later was pronounced dead at Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital.
Accompanied by an attorney, Willingham, 32, came in to Dover Police headquarters the afternoon of Aug. 25, Hoffman said.
“He was completely cooperative with us and very open,” Hoffman said. “He explained to us what happened.”
After consulting with the Kent County attorney general’s office, Dover Police dropped charges of reckless endangering and possession of a firearm during commission of a felony against Willingham, Hoffman said.
Hoffman stressed police are still looking for the other individuals who accompanied Lamb and have developed numerous leads.
In the meantime, police are continuing their investigation into the shooting death of New Castle resident Tyson Henry, 24, and the wounding of a 25-year-old Dover woman.
That incident took place at 1:24 a.m. Aug. 24, while people were leaving a party in the 300 block of Simon Circle, Hoffman said. Someone fired several shots, hitting Tyson and the woman in the lower torsos; the woman was admitted to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital, where she was listed in serious but stable condition following surgery.
Police have yet to release any details on this case, including identifying any possible suspects.
City spokeswoman Kay Sass said Christiansen’s news conference is meant to reassure Dover residents.
“Topic for discussion is the proactive measures the city of Dover is taking in order to maintain a safe community while working together with other entities and organizations in our community,” said Sass.
The press event will take place at 1:30 p.m. Aug. 27, in council chambers at Dover City Hall, Sass said.
Anyone with information on either shooting is asked to call Dover Police at 736-7111.
Anonymous tips may be submitted via Delaware Crime Stoppers at 800-847-3333, or online at http://Delaware.crimestoppersweb.com.