Delaware State Police Cpl. Lloyd M. McCann is recovering from wounds received after he was shot near Magnolia Wednesday morning.

McCann, 26, is listed in stable condition at the Christiana Hospital Trauma Center, Newark, division spokesman Sgt. Paul Shavack said Thursday morning.

Detectives are continuing their investigation into the incident, which began at about 12:30 a.m. June 25, and ended in gunfire at 6:55 a.m., Shavack said.

The case began with a domestic strangulation incident between Dennis Hicks, 29, of Milford, and another person at a home in the first block of Bayhill Road, Magnolia, Shavack said.

Approximately six hours after the strangling incident, McCann spotted Hicks driving a Honda Accord northbound on Del. Route 1 from Milford, and turned on his lights and siren in an attempt to stop him. Hicks ignored the warning and turned onto Mulberrie Point Road and then onto Clapham Road toward Magnolia, Shavack said.

Hicks drove back to Bayhill Road, coming to a stop at the intersection of West Birdie Lane, got out of the car and opened fire on McCann’s patrol car. McCann got out of the car and returned fire, hitting Hicks in his upper body.

McCann was wounded in a hand and face during the exchange, Shavack said.

The trooper was taken by fellow officers to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital and later transferred by DSP helicopter to Christiana, where he was admitted in serious condition.

Hicks also was taken to Bayhealth, and pronounced dead at 8:47 a.m.

The preliminary investigation indicates the handgun used in the shooting had been reported stolen during a June 2013 residential burglary in Smyrna, Shavack said.

McCann, 26, is a four-year veteran of the DSP, working out of Troop 3 in Camden.

This was not Hicks’ first run-in with the law. His law enforcement record dates back to September 2003, when the then-18-year-old was arrested on several charges, eventually being found guilty of a single count of disorderly conduct. The record includes several traffic citations, to which he also pled guilty, and a guilty finding to charges of resisting arrest and drug possession in February 2007.

In April 2010, Hicks was arrested following an incident in Lincoln, where he shot a woman using a sawed-off shotgun. He was later convicted of second-degree assault and possession of a deadly weapon during commission of a felony, and sentenced to three years in prison. He was released early due to time served in October 2012, placed on work release until March 2013, and completed probation on May 27, 2014.

In accordance with standard DSP policy, McCann has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

This is an active and ongoing investigation with detectives continuing to process evidence and conduct interviews, Shavack said.