The Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office has determined a Jan. 22 house fire near Woodside was caused accidentally.
The fire, which occurred in the first block of Apple Run, Paris Villa, was reported just before 3:30 p.m. by the homeowner, said chief deputy State Fire Marshal B. Scott Bullock.
The Magnolia Fire Company responded to the call and arrived with heavy smoke showing from the manufactured home with fire underneath the dwelling.
Assistance was requested from the Camden-Wyoming, Felton, and Dover fire companies. The fire was placed under control at 4 p.m. with no injuries reported.
The deputy state fire marshal’s investigation of the blaze determined the fire started in the crawl space under the home when the homeowner tried to thaw a frozen water pump with a handheld torch and ignited the insulation and combustibles under the home, Bullock said.
Damages were estimated at $15,000.
The home was equipped with operating smoke detectors; the occupants are staying with friends, Bullock said.