A 48-year-old Dover woman, who barricaded herself inside her home and asked police to shoot her, was taken into custody June 17 without incident.

Dover barricade situation ends peacefully

Officers with the Dover Police Department’s Hostage Negotiation Team defused what could have been a tragic situation involving a local woman who had barricaded herself inside her home.

The situation began Monday when the woman was about to undergo an evaluation at a local clinic, said department spokesman Capt. Tim Stump. The woman abruptly left the clinic and went home, he said.

Police were called to the home in the 100 block of Evergreen Drive at approximately 12:15 p.m.; as they tried to contact the 48-year-old woman, she locked herself inside her home and indicated she had a firearm.

“They attempted to contact her and she was very standoffish,” Stump said. “She closed the door and locked it. That clearly led the officers to be extremely concerned about her injuring herself.”

Officers at the scene called in their Special Operations Response Team, who cordoned off the neighborhood, and the hostage team, who worked to convince the woman to surrender.

Public response was entirely positive, Stump said.

“In the interests of public safety, we asked everyone to stay in their homes, and people who had left the neighborhood and were trying to go home were asked not to come in,” he said.

During the standoff, the woman, whose name was not released, came out into the street several times while holding a handgun, threatening to harm herself and asking police to shoot her, Stump said.

After a standoff lasting approximately an hour, a hostage negotiator convinced the woman to lay down the handgun.

The weapon was recovered, and she was taken to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital for observation, Stump said.

Members of the police department are pleased at the outcome of a situation they are only called upon to handle two or three times a year, Stump said.

“Everyone on scene handled themselves extremely professionally and the absolute best outcome happened,” he said. “No one was hurt, no one was I injured, and that’s what we always look for.”

Police will not file charges in this case, Stump said.