The fire at the Super Lodge Motel last Saturday took the life of a 42-year-old male, Donald Messick.
Information was withheld until contact had been made with Messick's family, Dover Public Information Officer Kay Dietz-Sass said.
In their search of the room where the fire originated, firefighters discovered one person, a man in his early 40s, who had succumbed to the conditions of the fire and was pronounced dead on the scene, Dover Fire Department officials said.
The fire is still under investigation and once the medical examiner's and toxicology reports come back the definitive cause will be announced, Dietz-Sass said. Results usually take about two weeks.
Anyone with additional information is asked to please contact the Dover Fire Marshal's office at 736-4457.