The Dover Fire Department extinguished a fire that ignited on the roof of T.G.I. Friday's restaurant off U.S. Route 13 in Dover late Friday morning.
DFD dispatched its ladder and an engine to the scene along with about a dozen firefighters. Firemen, under the command of Assistant Chiefs Mark Hall and Duane Reed, used the ladder truck to put out the bulk of the blaze.
"We came here for smoke in the ceiling, Hall said. "Crews investigated. We found it was an HVAC system on the roof. We took the panel off and found that insulation in the actual HVAC system had caught on fire.
"We extinguished it," he said. "We turned the scene over to the health inspector and the fire marshal."
The T.G.I.F. manager on duty declined to comment.
The emergency fire call came in at 11:11 a.m. Friday, Dover Director of Public Relations & Emergency Management Coordinator Kay Dietz-Sass said. The restaurant smelled of smoke and the employees had everyone evacuated.
No injuries were reported, Dietz-Sass said.
As soon as the situation was rectified the restaurant would reopen, she added.