Investigators from the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office  said an unattended candle caused a house fire shortly after 5 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 23 in Smyrna. The home is located in the 5000 block of Wheatley's Pond Road (Route 300) near Smyrna-Clayton Boulevard (Route 6).


Investigators from the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s Office  said an unattended candle caused a house fire shortly after 5 p.m., Wednesday, Feb. 23 in Smyrna.

The home is located in the 5000 block of Wheatley's Pond Road (Route 300) near Smyrna-Clayton Boulevard (Route 6).

The home’s residents called 911 after discovering the fire, according to Chief Deputy State Fire Marshal B. Scott Bullock.

Firefighters from Citizens' Hose Company of Smyrna along with the Clayton Fire Company responded and saw fire and smoke coming from the residence. The fire was placed under control at 5:38 p.m.

One of the residents was taken to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital by Smyrna’s American Legion Ambulance for treatment of smoke inhalation and minor burns to the face and neck. The injuries sustained were not considered life threatening, and he was expected to be released, Bullock said.

Deputy State Fire Marshals determined the fire started in an attached enclosed porch and was caused by an unattended burning candle. The home was equipped with working smoke detectors.

Damages are estimated at $75,000.

The Red Cross is assisting the home’s occupants.