Police reports for the week of Aug. 26:

Kitts Hummock-area mobile home destroyed in fire

Text message leads to confrontation in Harrington

Home invasion suspect leaves empty-handed

Suspect nabbed after robbery attempt

Kitts Hummock-area mobile home destroyed in fire
    A fire at a Kitts Hummock-area mobile home has left a family homeless and suffering the loss of all their belongings.

    The Little Creek Fire Company was dispatched to the fire on Fairlane Drive at 7:02 p.m. Aug. 24, said Fire Chief M. Scott Bullock. Bystanders on the scene had alerted the residents their home was on fire and had turned off gas and electric services, Bullock said. Everyone was evacuated, he said, adding the fire was brought under control at 7:25 p.m.

    Three adults and a child in the home are receiving assistance from the American Red Cross, Bullock said. In addition to Little Creek, fire companies from Magnolia and Bowers responded to the blaze, he said.

    There were no injuries and the state fire marshal is investigating the cause.

Text message leads to confrontation in Harrington
    A disagreement over a text message landed two Harrington residents in trouble with the law.

    The incident took place Aug. 6 on Reese Avenue, said Harrington Police Department spokesman Cpl. Earl K. Brode. Officers responding to a call about a fight discovered two people had come to the home to confront a resident, later identified as Taylor Julian, 17, about a text message he had sent. While there, a woman identified as Anita J. Redden, 49, came out, yelling and cursing at the victims and hit one of them in the face, Brode said. Julian allegedly approached the two with a baseball bat and began chasing them, threatening to kill them, Brode said.

    Redden and Julian turned themselves in to police Aug. 15 after arrest warrants were issued. Julian also was suspected in connection with a complaint about someone painting on the sidewalks of another street, Brode said.

    Redden was charged with offensive touching and disorderly conduct, then released on a $500 unsecured bond. Julian was charged with graffiti, aggravated menacing, possession of a deadly weapon during the commission of a felony, terroristic threatening and disorderly conduct.

    He later was released to the custody of his mother.

Home invasion suspect leaves empty-handed
    A masked man who burst into a local home while brandishing a handgun escaped after his intended victim called police.

    The incident took place at 11:30 p.m. Aug. 22 at a home in the 400 block of Sussex Avenue, said Dover Police Department spokesman Lt. Tim Stump.

    The assailant kicked open the rear door of the home and pointed the gun at the homeowner, but the victim fled and called police, Stump said. The suspect then fled without taking anything, he added.

    The suspect was described as a black man, approximately 6 feet 1 inch tall, wearing a black ski mask, black hoodie and black pants, Stump said.

    Anyone with information on this crime is asked to call Dover Police at 736-7111.

Suspect nabbed after robbery attempt
    Officers with the Dover Police Department have arrested a local man after he allegedly tried to hold up two other persons.

    The attempt took place at 8:15 a.m. Aug. 23 in the Walker Square Business Park, said police spokesman Lt. Tim Stump. The two victims said they were seated in their cars when a man, later identified as Justin Cauley, 18, came up, displayed what appeared to be a shotgun and demanded money. The victims responded that they had no cash, and one called 911.

    Responding officers located Cauley, as well as an air-soft shotgun, in a residence at the Whatcoat apartment complex, Stump said.

    Cauley, who lives in the unit block of Village Drive, Dover, was charged with two counts of attempted robbery, and issued a $30,000 cash bond.