A list of all the week's police reports

Camden man arrested after fleeing police

    Delaware State Police arrested a Camden man Saturday after a four-hour standoff stemming from a traffic incident where he allegedly rammed a police car with his van.

    Police first noticed a suspicious van at 4:35 a.m. May 24, in the rear of Lake Forest North Elementary School in Felton, said Cpl. Jeffrey Whitmarsh, spokesman for the Delaware State Police. Officers stopped the van and Whitmarsh said they could smell alcohol while asking the man what he was doing at the school. The man then drove off and police followed him to Andrews Lake Road where he put the vehicle in reverse and rammed the police car before fleeing on foot.

    The man ran into the home of an ex-girlfriend, Whitmarsh added, and hostage negotiators were called to the scene to talk to him. By 8:30 a.m., however, police decided to take the man by force.

    The suspect, identified as Reese Heesh, 32, of South Caesar Rodney Avenue, was charged with failure to stop at the command of a police officer, reckless driving, aggressive driving, leaving the scene of an accident, improper backing and other  charges.

    Bail information was not available.

Motorcyclist killed on Route 1

    A Dover man was killed Sunday while reportedly trying to enter Route 1 on his motorcycle.

    Stephen Reed, 32, of Dover, was attempting to drive his Suzuki SMK motorcycle onto the southbound side of the highway when he apparently lost control and laid his bike onto the roadway, said Cpl. Jeffrey Whitmarsh, spokesman for the Delaware State Police. The accident occurred at Route 1’s intersection with Trap Shooter Lane, Whitmarsh added.

    A minivan traveling southbound tried to swerve but Whitmarsh said it could not avoid hitting the motorcycle on the roadway.

    Reed was pronounced dead at the scene, he added.

    The crash, which remains under investigation, tied up southbound traffic three hours.

Sexual assault suspect dies in house fire

    A 36-year-old man reported to police for an alleged sexual assault died following a fire in his trailer May 24.

    Delaware State Police were investigating the man for allegedly assaulting a 16-year-old girl over the past several weeks, said Cpl. Jeffrey Whitmarsh, spokesman for the Delaware State Police.

    As police arrived at the High Point Mobile Home Park, south of Magnolia, Whitmarsh said they discovered the trailer in flames. The girl’s mother told police she called the man to tell him about the investigation just before the fire broke out, Whitmarsh said.
    Firefighters from Bowers Fire Company responded to the fire and rushed the man to Bayhealth Kent General Hospital he was pronounced dead.

    The man was later identified as Derek Hawkins, 36, of Sycamore Road.

    The cause of the fire is under investigation by the Delaware State Fire Marshal’s office. Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael G. Chinchio said there were two operating smoke detectors in the mobile home.

    Total fire damage was approximately $30,000, and there were no additional injuries, Chionchio said.

Two men sought in shooting incident

    Dover Police are searching for two men in connection with an early Friday morning shooting of another man at the County Village Apartments.

    A witness said two men armed with handguns were let into the victim’s apartment and then demanded money, said Lt. James Hosfelt, spokesman for the Dover Police Department.

    They then fired several shots at the victim, with one bullet hitting him in the abdomen. The suspects fled immediately after the shooting, Hosfelt said.

    The witness called 911 and the man was taken to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital where he underwent emergency surgery. Hosfelt said the victim, whose name was not released, is listed in stable condition.

    Police are searching for a 5-foot-7-inch black man with thin build, wearing dark clothing and a 5-foot-8-inch black man with a medium build also wearing dark clothing.

    Anyone with information is asked to call police at 736-7111.

Man slashed during Water Street fight
    Dover police are investigating the stabbing of a man the evening of May 19 on East Water Street.

    Police arrived at the scene after receiving a call about several people fighting, said Lt. James Hosfelt, spokesman for the Dover Police Department.

    When officers arrived, Hosfelt said they found a man bleeding profusely from a wound to his head and neck.

    The man, whose name was not released, was taken to Bayhealth-Kent General Hospital where he was treated for his injuries.

    Anyone with information on this incident should call Dover Police at 736-7111.

Man arrested in connection with hold-up

    Dover Police last week arrested a man in connection with a May 5 robbery attempt in the Dover East Mobile Home Park.

    Police apprehended Antonio Guzman, 25, of Masten Circle, Dover, and charged him with first-degree robbery, possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony and possession of a deadly weapon by a person prohibited.

    Guzman is allegedly one of two men connected to the robbery, where a man was hit with in the head with a gun after he failed to give up cash demanded by the thieves.

    He was committed to the Delaware Correctional Center in default of $35,000 secured bond.

Fugitive arrested at Liberty Court

    Dover Police arrested a wanted man May 21 after he was spotted in the area of Liberty Court.

    Officers contacted the man, identified as Samuel Thorpe, 22, of Liberty Court, said Lt. James Hosfelt, spokesman for the Dover Police Department. When searched, Hosfelt said police found 12 grams of cocaine, a digital scale and money.

    Thorpe was charged with trafficking cocaine, possession with intent to deliver cocaine, possession of drug paraphernalia and other charges. He was committed to the Delaware Correctional Center in default of unspecified bond.

Fifth teen arrested in connection with car break-ins

    Dover Police arrested a fifth teen in connection with a string of car break-ins that occurred earlier this year.

    Police arrested Tyriq James, who already was in the custody of the William M. Stevenson Detention Center in Milford, and charged him with 242 criminal counts, including theft and criminal mischief.

    Bond information was not available.

    Warrants are out for nine remaining suspects, one of whom was reportedly arrested Saturday. The Post is working to confirm that report.